[VoiceOps] Future of the Traditional PSTN vs VOIP and VoLTE

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Wed Dec 9 11:26:29 EST 2015

This is a slight topic change, but at SIPNOC for the last few years, FCC and FCC-connected people have come and talked about the plans for transitioning. My general sense is that the they're considering adding something like an IP address to the NPAC data structure.

There's a new IETF working group, "Modern":
> This list is for discussion of systems required to support the management
> of telephone numbers after traditional telephone functions have migrated to
> the Internet. In particular, this list considers Internet protocol
> interfaces needed to register, provision and audit data related to
> telephone numbers. It is expected that discussion will also involve ongoing
> development of experimental systems to implement these functions.

A big thrust there is to develop Internet protocols to talk to all the old-school telecom systems that have kept us going through the 1980s-present.

They're also talking a lot there about who "owns" telephone numbers.

Here are some good introductory  slides from the IETF meeting in March:
	https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/92/slides/slides-92-modern-0.pdf