[VoiceOps] Broadworks URL Dialing

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Mon Mar 2 15:30:46 EST 2015

BroadSoft's "URL Dialing" is pretty important for several of the services. In particular, any time the Network Server receives an INVITE to route a call to an Application Server user sip:User at AppServer where User is a UserID, and AppServer identifies an application server.

URL Dialing is necessary lately, but it'll also make your Network Server return Contacts in the 302 response that aren't helpful. For example, I've seen folks who used "starbucks.com" as a customer domain. Then when one of their users calls to sip:Bogus at starbucks.com, your App Server could do a DNS lookup, and you'll find INVITE's being attempted to 98.99.252.71, with SNMP traps when that call fails.

Even worse if your firewall allows them through.

Even worse if your firewall has a default SIP ALG that opens a global pinhole allowing anything on the Internet to reply when the trusted side sends out a SIP INVITE to the Internet <http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos11.4/topics/task/configuration/alg-security-sip-configuring.html>.

In this case, I vote you fix the problem by blocking outbound (trusted-to-untrusted) SIP in the firewall.

              --- mailto:mark at ecg.co
                  tel:+1-229-316-0013
                  http://ecg.co/lindsey