[VoiceOps] Audiocodes MP202B fax-to-https ATA

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Mar 16 19:45:41 EDT 2015

We've recently become aware of the Audiocodes MP-202B ATA that sits at a
customer premise, captures transmission from a fax machine, and sends it
via HTTPS to a remote server. We are considering this as a solution to
some specific problematic fax-over-IP situations.

I have a few concerns, and am wondering if anyone on the list has used
these units and what your experience is with them, good, bad, or ugly.
Specifically:

* Does the ATA receive the entire fax and then send it over HTTPS? If
so, is there a limitation on the number of pages or size of data?

* Does the sending fax get an accurate report of failure if the actual
destination fax is unreachable (busy, no answer, wrong number, out of
paper, etc.) once the transmission is accepted by the local Audiocodes
box, or do they get an "OK" report in error?

* What goes on the other end? Is there a bigger version Audiocodes box
that connects to a PRI or other TDM connection to the PSTN?

* Are there competing products that we should be considering?

The Audiocodes website is somewhat lacking in terms of technical detail
and I have a call into them but wanted to get some feedback from the
community about this and similar solutions.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net