[VoiceOps] Audiocodes MP202B fax-to-https ATA

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Mar 17 14:56:00 EDT 2015

On 3/17/15 9:29 AM, Oren Yehezkely wrote:
> This is quite interesting.
> Did you use a special kind of ATA?

Yes, the Audiocodes MP202B with fax-to-https.

> What did you use between the ATA and server A? Was it G711?
> If so how could it work on a 3G connection?

It's sent as https. That's the trick to the whole thing. The fax data is
stored and forwarded as TCP after the fact, hence no worries about
moderate packet loss, jitter, etc.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is what goes on the other end.
Something has to receive the https fax, extract the destination number,
and connect to the PSTN (ideally via TDM such as a PRI) to deliver the
document to the ultimate endpoint. Is there an Audiocodes big-brother to
the ATA for this? If not, what are people using?

In addition, because of the store-and-forward nature, there needs to be
a means of notifying the sending fax of the (delayed) failure.
Apparently some third-party implementations send the failure report as
email, but I can see logistical problems with this in a large office
where there are multiple users of a common fax machine. I would like the
option that a failure report be sent as fax to the originating machine.