[VoiceOps] Rural call completion hotline

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Tue May 5 02:39:49 EDT 2015

I'm not going to deny that traffic pumping hasn't happened, because I know
it has.

I'm also familiar with many rural telcos that aren't traffic pumping, and
are actually just trying to provide quality service. Inbound traffic from
the big guys gets least-cost routed to the dirt-cheap carrier of the day,
where it results in dropped calls, one-way audio, delayed ring, poor audio
quality, etc... The rural telco's customers call to ask why Cousin Jim who
is a Verizon customer can't call them, and they have to say, "Have Cousin
Jim open a trouble with Verizon."

Sometimes the rural telco manages to convince the big guys to change their
routing to avoid the dirt-cheap carrier, and then things work fine for
awhile until they change the routing back again.

The $5 million it cost Verizon is a drop in the bucket compared to what
they save by their shenanigans.