[VoiceOps] Rural call completion hotline

Joshua Elson joshelson at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:41:39 EDT 2015

Google itself also blocks traffic pumpers on Google Voice, though they've
long argued they shouldn't be subject to regulation as a carrier:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/pmkQ58_HEfo

I understand where you're coming from David, but these services are total
scams taking advantage of small carriers desire to increase revenue and
consumers lack of understanding about how these services operate and are
paid for.  Anyone being honest about this can't possibly argue that these
aren't a dishonest form of cost shifting onto providers like me.  I've not
gone to the lengths of a provider like Speakeasy, but I understand where
they're coming from.  This kind of calling is a measurable impact on
revenue in a competitive market.  At wholesale, it's often a great deal
cheaper for me to have customers calling China than it is virtually all of
these kinds of services.  It's not at all fair - to anyone involved - to
burden an intermediary, much less one that's significantly encumbered by
regulation, with this cost.