[VoiceOps] Lack of Quality Industry-wide

Paul Stamoulis pstamoulis at onestoptel.net
Tue Oct 6 16:48:47 EDT 2015

You guys are discovering the dirty little secrets of voice service and why Quality of Service (QoS) has fallen of a cliff... I have been doing int’l voice termination and networks for nearly 30 years now and back then it was “big-iron” switches and dedicated circuits costing lots of money... with monthly expense high, a carrier had to properly cost justify every connection and pay attention to the results..QoS was NOT a problem and pretty much everything connected and sounded well.

Then VoIP came along and as the MBA’say, “Barriers to entry” disappeared... lots and lots of small operators came along with little QoS rules and started hawking their wares...on the demand side, telco’s became indiscriminate about who and how many  they inter-connected with since it did not cost much for a voip connection (compared to nailed up TDM circuits!)

and on it went,, 10 years later and no real standardization of QoS has been created. Companies have services with names like “standard quality service” translate this to “cheap but nothing works” and “premium quality” which is better..  Nowadays, with USA AND Int’l voice termination, carriers spend their efforts on managing the rates (not the QoS) lest they screw up and go negative margins, get cherry picked or increase rate disputes (the bane of our industry..)

We need standardization like you reference and our company is building an online system to develop exactly those standard of quality with Int’l voice.  as a short term solution, we do NOT deal with “a-z standard rates” since there is no way we can test the thousands of rate destinations. Instead we accept only one or two int’l destinations from any one vendor and then we manually test prior to production routing.. this is pretty much the only way you can now guarantee any sort of QoS. Hopefully we will come up with better long term solutions in the years to come.

Paul Stamoulis                         +1 212 444 3003

www.OneStopTel.net<http://www.onestoptel.net/>   Thousands of Carriers...One Connection!
Onestopcorp and Onestoptel monitors and reads all emails as only business emails are permitted to be sent and received. Onestopcorp  also monitors emails for compliance reasons and to ensure that no unauthorized disclosure of confidential information is passed via the email system. This email and any attachments are confidential. It is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is unauthorized. If you have received this email in error please immediately notify the sender by replying to this email and delete the email from your computer. The contents of any attachment to this email may contain software viruses, which could damage your own computer system. While Onestopcorp has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage, which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the attachment.