[VoiceOps] SIP return message on misdials - 487 or 500/503 or ?

Calvin Ellison calvin.ellison at voxox.com
Mon Oct 12 15:46:23 EDT 2015

+1 on Glen's answer.

Intermediate carriers deal with enough FAS and other garbage that they
cannot trust every 404 or 604. We've determined that it's better to 503 a
possibly invalid number for the customer to later retry, than falsely 404 a
valid number and get complaints about how we trashed their expensive number
list. So long as there is no pre-session media before the 404/604 (i.e.
180/183 tri-tone, voice reject, busy, etc.), we and/or the customer can
still route advance and potentially connect that call.

Regards,

*Calvin Ellison*
Voice Services Engineer
calvin.ellison at voxox.com