[VoiceOps] SIP return message on misdials - 487 or 500/503 or ?

Ivan Kovacevic ivan.kovacevic at startelecom.ca
Tue Oct 13 00:43:41 EDT 2015

Except… that in case of call centre traffic, this leads to repeated
dialling of invalid numbers, leading to a ridiculous number of unnecessary
calls.

It is a pet peeve of mine and I wish there was a way to fix it. So that
invalid numbers can get a permanent failure result and stop clogging up our
network and ruining the connect rate.

To illustrate the issue… if a call centre starts calling a monthly list
which has 10-15% invalid numbers (typical). By the end of the month, they
will be calling those numbers daily (or several times per day, since 503 is
an error, not a valid attempt)… and as they deplete the list, those invalid
numbers will be dialed more and more frequently. If they don’t have a
maximum attempt limit, you are really screwed.

Even if they do, and is set to 10 or 15, these will be dialed the full
number of attempts... If all other records complete in 3-4  attempts on
average, these will go the full 15 (because of 503 or other temporary
failure response)… so in the end… those 10% of invalid numbers will result
in a much larger % of (unnecessary) dials.

I think this is one of those things that’s waiting for a standard or a
smart provider to come along and fix it. I’ve toyed with the idea of
letting our CPA resources run against all 503s to see if we can sort out
some of these based on early media/tri-tone/voice reject. Just haven’t had
time to do it… and we do what everyone else does… just let the clients dial
these and pass the crap to our downstream providers…

In the meantime, we tell our call centre clients to go through their lists
in power/preview mode towards the end… so they could scrub these NIS
records. This is a half-ass solution in my opinion, but without a better
one… it’s all they can do.

I’ve tried raising the issue with our providers as well, to try to get
better (more accurate) SIP responses… but here isn’t much they can do
either… so… here we are.

Best Regards,

Ivan Kovacevic

Vice President, Client Services