[VoiceOps] WiFi SIP phones recommendations

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Sep 8 15:58:46 EDT 2015

On 09/08/2015 03:54 PM, Paul Timmins wrote:

> a proper handoff on both sides means i don't even realize it happening,
> let alone re-associate with DHCP and all that jazz - it happens at the
> MAC layer and isn't visible to the OS unless it asks the current station
> BSSID and decides to do something about it. "APs properly configured"
> comes into play here heavily.

In principle, yes, but I've never seen an OS network management
infrastructure which eliminates this bureaucracy when switching APs or
does this seamlessly.

For example, as far as I know, neither my Ubuntu laptop nor my Android
phone will automatically switch APs with the same ESSID. They'll hang
onto the old AP for as long as possible, then drop it and reassociate,
with DHCP jazz and all. However, I would think that putting the client
on a static IP would largely obviate this.

Have I just missed a subtle shift in implementation over the last few
years? I don't have two APs handy. Or are WiFi SIP phones specifically
designed to work as you describe?

303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30346
United States

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)