[VoiceOps] WiFi SIP phones recommendations

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Sep 8 16:12:51 EDT 2015

On 09/08/2015 04:00 PM, Carlos Alvarez wrote:

> You can't compare home range with commercial range.  Many commercial
> buildings have far more challenging environments as far as noise and
> blocking surfaces.  Going from one floor to another is always worse than
> horizontal range for a variety of reasons.  For example, antennas are
> generally oriented to spread signal horizontally, but not vertically.
> The higher the dB gain, the more true this is.  My best guess is that a
> DECT base probably has a 3dB antenna, which means 3dB more power to the
> sides as to the top.  Every 3dB is a doubling of the power, because it's
> a logarithmic scale.  Most commercial buildings employee concrete/rebar
> between floors, unlike the simple wood in most homes.  Both of those are
> terrible for radio signals.

That makes sense. I'm not sure how "tall" the doughnut created by a
typical DECT base is.

What I do know is that in both office buildings where I've used my
Platronics headset, I can go about two floors down and gain considerable
lateral distance without issue.

The point about concrete and rebar is a good one. It makes me wonder
what ticky-tacky this office building's composed of!

303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30346
United States

Tel: +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671 (direct)