[VoiceOps] WiFi SIP phones recommendations

Tim Bray tim at kooky.org
Wed Sep 9 06:17:45 EDT 2015

On 08/09/15 18:05, Shripal Daphtary wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm looking to implement 6-10 WIFI phones for a 3 floor restaurant using
> unifi AP-PRO's.  i'm not sure if they are using zero handoff on the
> AP's, but i'm sure they can implement, if they need to.

I'm presuming you need to be able to use any handset on any floor of the
restaurant.  And uou really need 10 phones.

Then you are just into the bottom end of needing an enterprise DECT
system. I would use something like the:

- gigaset N720
- panasonic KX-UDS124UK
- RTX 	RTX 8630/8660    (which is the same as the snom roaming dect)

These are all roaming dect systems.  You are going to have to do some
site survey work to get the distance between the bases correct.  In
Dect, the bases have to see each other over the air to synchronize timing.

I've never really found a wifi (as in wireless lan) combination which is
good enough for handoff.  unifi zero handoff doesn't really work well.
Maybe with cisco APs and cisco phones, but I haven't really tried that.

>  I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good (and
> simple) SIP Wifi hadsets.  we wanted to use a yealink w52, but because
> the repeaters only support one base, it wont work for this implementation.

Difference between a dect base designed for SME, and a dect base for
enterprise.

If you only want 6 handsets.  And only need 4 calls.  And 2 of the phone
calls will always be in range of the base station.  And all phone on 4
SIP accounts (so 2 handsets share a SIP account with another handset)

You could use:

Gigaset N510IP  (supports 4 calls, and 6 handsets)

RTX Pro repeaters.  (up to 6 repeaters).  The repeaters can do repeater
to repeater links.

But really makesure you understand the limitations of this setup.

You can't put 6 SIP accounts into a ring group on your PBX, because only
the first 4 will ring (because the base can only do 4 calls)

Also be aware that gigaset have different variants (read, limits on how
many calls) for each country.  So double check.

***********

And one more option would be:

Panasonic KX-TGP600

http://business.panasonic.co.uk/communication-solutions/PBX-SIP/business-SIP-systems/SIP-DECT-single-base-unit/KX-TGP600

This supports 8 handsets and 8 calls.  And support repeaters.  So for an
8 handset solution, this might fit really well.

There is also a KX-TPA65   This is a dect desk phone.  I know that one
of the problems is restaurants is people stealing the handsets.  We've
had a lot of customers turn down dect solutions because worried the
handsets will walk off.   If you use the deskphone and screw to the
desk, it won't move.  And you still get the easy installation without
having to run a cat5.

I think the Panasonic probably best for you, if 8 handsets are enough.

(sorry, that's a long email)

Tim