[VoiceOps] Unique DIDs vs. Custom extensions

Rafael Possamai rafaelpossa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:58:59 EDT 2015

Hello all,

I was tasked to design a system that would give each end user a unique DID
from a pool of about 1,000 DIDs total. Every inbound call to a DID would
then be forward to the end-users actual phone number (office, mobile,
etc..).

We would then make data driven decisions based off of the data collected
from all these inbound calls: duration, originating area codes, how many
calls, frequency, etc.This of course would have previous authorization of
each end-user.

WIth that in mind, to me it looks like a big waste of DIDs, and I could use
custom extensions instead, with a single DID for everyone. Each end-user is
assigned a 5 digit code (an extension pretty much) and gets re-routed
accordingly. I believe using Asterisk and/or FreePBX I could still
collected all the data that is needed.

Estimated inbound minutes is 500,000 a month, so that requires another
500,000 outbound minutes because each call is forwarded. One million
minutes a month does turn out to be expensive, close to U$8,000/month from
some quotes that I have gotten.

With all of this in mind, I'd like to know if anyone here has done a
similar project and would be willing to share their experience. I am trying
to accomplish everything with the minimum amount of resources as possible
(money and DIDs, etc).

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Rafael