[VoiceOps] WiFi SIP phones recommendations

Tim Bray tim at kooky.org
Tue Sep 22 04:53:37 EDT 2015

On 21/09/15 20:40, Robert Johnson wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ubiquiti's UniFi WiFi line do just
> that? Is there something I'm missing when a client moves closer to AP
> "B" and the network dynamically hands off the connection to AP "B"?

In theory yes. Unifi Zero hand off does just this.  The client doesn't
see the roam.

Real life experience suggests the zero handoff isn't great in real world
conditions.   I've spent a long time playing with it on a few sites, and
given up.  Instead adjusting the minrssi system which pushes the client
to make a roam.

Maybe if you had very regular buildings, an isolated network for VoIP
(separate access points and L2), no neighbours using WiFi, then it might
be better,

There are some new UniFI APs coming out, so will be interesting to see
if they are any different.

Tim