[VoiceOps] SIP door intercom-phones

Jay Taylor jay.taylor at hitechmn.com
Mon Jul 11 17:39:55 EDT 2016

Years ago my wife’s parents (the Outlaws) wanted something simple like this and I found this:

http://www.doorbellfon.com/homephone.htm

The “DoorBell Fon” was what we used for the project.

Requirements:

Analog phone line, can be used by any phone in the house, two way audio, use existing doorbell wire.

What this device does is insert itself between the demarc and the phones in the house.  If you are on the phone it acts like a call waiting service to let you know someone is at the door.  The reverse is also true,  If you are talking to someone at the door and a phone call comes in, you will be notified that the phone is ringing.

I believe you can set the ring so that you can tell if it’s a phone call or the door (double ring for door).  There is also the ability to activate a relay for a door opener if necessary.

You could very easily hook this to an ATA and connect it to a voip system.

When I installed this some 10 years ago, it cost about $85.00 wholesale.  It’s still running and they still love it.  You can still get parts so if something fails, just order the new part and you are good to go.  I’m seeing current retail for this item in the $150 range or less.

http://www.multiconnects.com/doorbell-fon-dp28it This kit is only $130.

For the money and easy install factor, this was an absolute no brainer as the right thing to use.

The electronics look very much like something from “Viking Electronics” if you’ve used their products.

Jay
(Not affiliated with these companies in any way, just like their product.)