[VoiceOps] Wholesale Voice Carriers with Instant Porting

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Jun 16 21:39:54 EDT 2016

I'll expand.

1. Bandwidth can port most all numbers, but not all numbers are Tier 1 or
5, which support SMS. Rural Maine is tough, and there was a small place in
North Carolina we couldn't. Other than that, they are pretty capable on
porting.

2. I don't pay Bandwidth any fees to access their API, which is well
written and works. They do have a "beta" reverse API call that will put you
in control of releasing (or not) port outs. You can add ports in their
portal, but I haven't seen anywhere to "run CSRs."

3. It looks like if you want to auto-activate, it happens at 11:30am. You can
set it to "Customer Activation" which allows you to set a time between 5am
and 10:45pm, but I'm not entirely sure how that works or if it meets your
needs outlined in #3.

4. No instant porting. But Bandwidth does port mobile numbers that are
connected in about 1 business day. I submitted one on a Sunday late
afternoon at it ported Monday at 11:30am Eastern.

I've been happy with Bandwidth and their services, though their billing
department must be scrutinized monthly. My first month they billed me the
default 1.9c per minute for calls that should have been rated at 0.002, and
their downloadable BDRs (Billing Detail Records) contain duplicates and are
often missing during the month.

----

Vitelity

1. They can port most numbers, but it takes longer than Bandwidth (add 1-3
    days)

2. They have an API, but it is pretty ghetto. It works though. I've heard
they are rewriting and working on something more modern and flexible.

3. No option to choose FOC time nor date, though you can request it through
a support ticket. Doesn't always happen though, very manual.

4. No instant porting.

----

I'm looking forward to hearing more from others.

Beckman

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016, Colton Conor wrote:

> Kidd, can you explain how bandwidth's porting process works, and how it
> works on activation day? What options do they give you? I like what I see
> from bandwidth, but one of the primpary markets that we do operate in is
> off-net for bandwidth. So I asusme they would have to go through a third
> party-off net provider.
>
> This market however is covered by Level3, Verizon, Broadvox (now
> Onvoy/Vitelity), AT&T, and the other cell providers.
>

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:10 AM, Kidd Filby <kiddfilby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We use, and I have used many times over the years, Bandwidth.  Their time
>> frame is certainly the fastest I have experienced.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 9:01 PM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for a nationwide CLEC/Carrier that has the best porting
>>> process available. In my mind, this is:
>>>
>>> 1. The ability to port most numbers, and port them to their own network.
>>> That way they are only dealing with the losing carrier's porting
>>> department, and not having to send the port to an off-net carrier waiting
>>> and going through their porting department.
>>>
>>> 2. Have paid the ridiculous high priced API fee to Nuestar to allow for
>>> instant porting on the FOC date. Meaning they have built some sort of
>>> interface for wholesale customers so we can login online to upload ports,
>>> run CSRs, etc.
>>>
>>> 3. Once a port is confirmed, on the FOC date, have the ability to
>>> initiate the port at our time of choosing. Not at a forced specific time
>>> frame (like 10AM every morning), but if I want to port it a 4:59PM I can do
>>> so, and the process will flow though without any human intervention.
>>>
>>> 4. The ability to do instant porting on mobile numbers. Example, if we
>>> want to port a mobile number away from Verizon Wireless and convert it to a
>>> SIP line, I have heard you can do that instantly if you have the account
>>> pin of the Verizon Wireless number. This is less important than the other 3
>>> items.
>>>
>>> Which carriers have this capability? I know no one carrier can be on-net
>>> everywhere, but I assume one of the big boys would fit this bill.
>>>
>>> What about the following carriers:
>>> Level3
>>> Bandwidth
>>> Onvoy/Broadvox/Viteility
>>> Verizon
>>> AT&T (Do they have a wholesale SIP product?)
>>> Centurylink