[VoiceOps] Fax ATAs/devices

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Apr 28 17:09:45 EDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 08:39:06PM +0000, Alexander Lopez wrote:

> Fax will not die, at least not anytime soon.

Not as long as the VoIP industry continues to improvise boondoggles—none
altogether successful—to jam an uncompromisingly square peg into an
unyieldingly round hole.

The problem with boondoggles was articulated in a rather entertaining
way by the writer Dmitry Orlov:

   So why not, as a matter of policy, only propose solutions
   that are guaranteed to simply create more problems, for which
   further solutions can then be proposed? At some point, a
   boondoggle event horizon is reached, like the light event horizon
   that exists at the surface of a black hole. Beyond that
   horizon, the only possible course of action is to create more
   boondoggles.

   The combined weight of all these boondoggles is slowly but
   surely pushing us all down. If it pushes us down far enough,
   then economic collapse, when it arrives, will be like
   falling out of a ground-floor window. We just have to help
   this process along, or at least not interfere with it. So
   if somebody comes to you and says, “I want to make a
   boondoggle that runs on hydrogen” — by all means encourage him!
   It’s not as good as a boondoggle that burns money directly, but
   it’s a step in the right direction. [1]

This is what we're doing with fax every time we come up with more shit:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21997718/funny-USB-adapter-computer-data.jpg

At some point, you need to decide if you're in the POTS industry or the
VoIP industry.

-- Alex

[1] http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2009/01/boondoggles-to-rescue.html

Mr. Orlov is a peak oil theorist and is writing in that rather gloomy
context. I don't necessarily agree with his all-around pessimism, but
his writing is thought-provoking and his social critiques incisive.

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)