[VoiceOps] TCP Signaling for SIP Signaling

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 09:01:51 EDT 2017

Thanks for the replies. I am mainly talking about using TCP for SIP
signaling for access/customer side of the network only. I think trunk
connections to carriers will stay UDP only for a long time.

Overwhelming it seems like using TCP for signaling doesn't seem to be a bad
thing, and preferred by many. Peter, I have a question about what you mean
by "But the biggest reason I prefer UDP is for failover/redundancy. In the
event of a system failure/failover, UDP will be in-disrupted but TCP will."

Lets assume we are using Broadsoft with an Acme Packet SBCs, and have
redundancy having one on the West coast and one on the east cost.

Using TCP for signaling, how would this be different than using UDP in a
fail over secenario? Assume the client is closer to the West cost node, and
the West coast node rebooted or shut down due to power failure.

Using UDP for RTP makes perfect sense. Sorry for asking the stupid question
about RTP.