[VoiceOps] VoIP Providers and direct NANP access

Calvin Ellison calvin.ellison at voxox.com
Fri Mar 10 14:36:46 EST 2017

I only have direct experience with the Host Switch offering from
Inteliquent. They can provide IP handoff from their CLEC to VoIP carriers,
or to other CLECs depending on the LEC. CLECs lose any CABS revenue, but
that's nearly as dead a Betamax anyway. You may still need to sign an ICA
with the LEC even if you aren't directly connected to them.

We've had a mostly positive experience moving one of our CLEC markets to
this. It's much more cost-effective for us to have a single private IP
interconnect with Inteliquent than to keep our own LEC interconnects, cross
connects, SS7 links, etc. They can also failover traffic to our public
networks, in multiple data centers.

The biggest problem we had was not Inteliquent's fault. We changed the SHA
on our existing CLLI and many carriers failed to update routing on the
effective date. In hindsight, we probably should have used brand new POI
instead of migrating existing ones. I'd love to hear from you all if there
was any other way to have avoided that disruption.

Regards,

*Calvin Ellison*
Voice Operations Engineer
calvin.ellison at voxox.com