[VoiceOps] What does you use for Hosted PBX and why?

Peter Rad. peter at 4isps.com
Thu Mar 16 14:09:51 EDT 2017

Most of the big names in HPBX built their own:

ShoreTel, RC, Fuze, Digium, Fonality - built their own

8x8 built there are; hold about 90 patents; and is one of the most
successful HPBX company at $230M in annual rev.

Vonage - has 2 home brew + BSFT  (over 600K seats on VB)

Dialpad - Freeswitch

Nextiva, DSCI, Momentum, XO, VZ and 400 more are on  BSFT

15 Million lines on BSFT - more than 3x the next vendor for UC (Cisco)

Downside to that is that the patent trolls win, time and again.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-03/sprint-wins-139-8-million-in-time-warner-cable-patent-trial

https://www.law360.com/articles/885168/sprint-owes-153m-over-sms-patent-comcast-tells-jury

Combined Level3, VZ, Sprint, AT&T have over 500 VoIP patents. That will
bite you eventually. I see patent trolls regularly attacking clients.

BTW.....

It isn't the technology. It is knowing who to target with what bundle
and what message - and then getting out there to sell it.

There are plenty of open source VoIP companies who have failed
miserably.  Quite a few on Meta and BSFT.

Much of it has to do with product/market fit; marketing and sales. Those
last 2 - marketing and sales - are like kryptonite to most folks who go
open source. Why? They get stuck on the tech. It's all about features
and custom and blinking lights. That doesn't appeal to a buyer.

Open source has its own challenges:  patents and skill set. You have to
have full stack devs and engineers to run your own platform.  One CEO
who switched from a commercial to home brew spent all of his licensing
dollars on a team of devs and engineers to keep the cluster running.

Regards,

Peter Radizeski

RAD-INFO, Inc.