[VoiceOps] Carrier Voicemail Platforms

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 13:41:48 EDT 2017

The stand-alone voicemail system market seems to have mostly dried up
with Broadworks having their own baked in, and metaswitch providing
their own as well, and none of them being particularly exciting anyway.
Really when most commercial switch providers started offering their own
solutions, the 3rd party market really dried up.

Systems ive used:

Iperia (bought by genband)

CTI2 (bought by audiocodes and put out to pasture)

Metaswitch EAS (a strong system and CAN support non metaswitch
platforms, but priced accordingly)

Most of them were hideously expensive for what was fundamentally a open
source mashup under the covers, with cryptic "carrier grade" interfaces
anyway.

Though recently I just built a system using Freeswitch / Adhearsion /
CouchDB to create a dynamically scalable geo-redundant voicemail
ecosystem distributed in AWS. The tech is out there now to far outstrip
the tried and true carrier solutions.

Ill make the argument that voicemail is largely a commodity service, and
you could be well served to spend a little on some up-front engineering
and just own a FOSS based system and stop paying licensing on it. If you
are any kind of reasonable size, your annual licensing note would cover
the salary of a full-time FOSS hoodlum to care for and feed it, or would
easily cover the hours from established consultants to solve the
occasional issue.