[VoiceOps] Phone auth for incoming calls?

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:37:13 EDT 2018

OK so to expand on my previous smug-ness

Upsides:

  * No more signaling nat issues. Literally zero. If you want to be
    super-sneaky run your edge over TLS port 443 and most things wont
    touch you.
  * No retransmission's or registration avalanches. They simply cannot
    happen since you need a tcp session first.
  * No packet fragmentation issues. Send massive bloated SDP's and never
    worry about pruning headers again. If you are doing sip SIMPLE send
    mime bodies in messages if you want. Its all good.
  * Faster convergence (if you reset the TCP connections to your devices
    it will usually trigger an instantaneous proxy advance)
  * Real-HA on carrier grade SBC's works just fine and TCP state is
    maintained across pairs (Acme, Perimeta etc)
  * Never chase lost signaling

Downsides:

  * Conventional HA doesnt work so well. Your reg/subscription etc will
    all be in the context of a single TCP session (with or without TLS).
    This means for that second when you restart your proxy the session
    is lost and MUST be re-establised by the client.
  * SIP Outbound support, which would basically be the answer here
    basically doesn't exist in a usable fashion for reliable dual-reg.
    Device support is partial and broken. Its not good. There are
    potential solutions but it involves real commitment to this right
    now and the gulf of experience between having and not isnt huge.
  * Moderately more load since TCP state must be retained, but on modern
    hardware this is so trivial its almost not worth mentioning.
  * Need to re-learn KPI's for network. The entire signaling profile
    changes. Its just a different animal.
  * Most of your sniffer-based diagnostic tools become useless (for tls)
    since packets wont be readable. This is dodged with an edge that
    will feed encrypted traffic to a collector.

Suggestions:

STRONGLY recommend terminating TCP/TLS at the edge and still running
core in straight UDP with jumbo frames. You dont want a cascde of tcp
session reestablishments

I have a growing SP network today doing this with great success and also
advise my consulting clients to take this path.