[VoiceOps] ANIs flagged as telemarketer/spammer/scammer

Ivan Kovacevic ivan.kovacevic at startelecom.ca
Fri Aug 31 09:23:12 EDT 2018

One thing that hasn't happened yet - and it should - is that networks, app
providers and individual users are held responsible for labels they put
(or help put) on numbers. Let's remember at least some of the
telemarketing is conducted by legitimate organizations with valid (and
legal) existing business relationships. Labeling a legitimate number as
scam is detrimental to business and I am surprised there hasn't been a
flurry of cease and desist letters to force carriers to stop doing it or
at least introduce a validation/vetting mechanism.

If someone posted a Yelp review saying they found rat feet in their
hamburger, and this wasn't true, Yelp would have to remove this review and
the restaurant would have legitimate grounds to go after the poster. The
caller ID "screening" space is still a bit of Wild West... But as Glen
pointed out, that could be just due to overall drop in interest and
efficacy of legitimate telemarketing.

Ivan Kovacevic
www.startelecom.ca