[VoiceOps] Automatic 911 location updates

Andrew Haninger ahaning at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:36:28 EDT 2018

(This time to the group. Sorry for the dupe, Carlos.)

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018, 19:22 Carlos Alvarez <caalvarez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is anyone doing this yet?  The ability to detect the location of a phone
> and automatically update the 911 address?  Yes, I realize it's a difficult
> if not impossible thing, yet thought I'd ask since a customer asked me.

The Skype for Business system does this where I work. It uses the location
of the nearest AP or the location recorded for the jack you're using if
you're wired. If neither are available, the SfB application asks the user
to enter their location.

The analog phones we're switching from only update when an order is
processed, but then customers generally have to put in a request for us to
do a MAC order. The local PSAP will report to us if they get a 911 call
with incorrect name or location info.

It's not fool proof and there is plenty of room for errors, but it's not
too bad, either.

Andt