[VoiceOps] Connecting to Remote Tandems

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Fri Aug 9 15:51:41 EDT 2019

I'm sure I know which one you're talking about. It's because they exist
in entirely different regulatory domains. The upside of inbound feature
group D is that you get to cut out a terrible ILEC tandem, and at least
the vendor I'm thinking of doesn't charge for the trunks themselves, so
you're at a very strong cost advantage on it.

Inbound local trunking, usually interconnection agreements dictate that
the trunks have to be dedicated per carrier, so you're just avoiding
sinking hardware cost and transport, but it still uses up considerable
resources at least in AT&T areas. So if you need 3 trunks to CHCGILWB's
tandem, they can't just route that to their trunks where they have
existing capacity, like FGD, but they have to install 3 shiny new T1s
just for your traffic, that they order as you, to their equipment. It's
stupid, convoluted, and wasteful but it's not the vendor's fault, it's
AT&T maintaining artificial barriers to competition. As if they'd have
it any other way.

-Paul