[VoiceOps] Connecting to Remote Tandems

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Fri Aug 9 16:14:38 EDT 2019

There are a couple differences for various reasons. In the LERG there
are actually 3 tandems listed: One for Local, One for IntraLATA, and one
for FGD traffic. When you interconnect with only the ILEC, they only
have you establish 2 trunk groups. A local tandem trunk group that
handles the Local and IntraLATA traffic, and an Access Tandem trunk
group that handles the transit traffic you and the IXC carriers. When
you are  connected to the ILEC, all 3 tandem offices in the LERG are
listed as the ILECs tandems.

If you hire a third party tandem provider for just "access traffic",
you're only changing that FGD tandem so the only trunk group you are
eliminating with the ILEC is the Access Tandem Trunk group.

If you're going to have a third party tandem provider handle your local
and IntraLATA traffic as well as your FGD traffic, then the LERG records
change significantly. Instead of using your own switch CLLI, you get a
POI CLLI for the LATA and populate the third party tandem provider's
switch CLLI in the actual switch field of the LERG. This tells everyone
that the NXXs belong to your company, but you're leasing another
company's switch to handle all the routing. This service eliminates the
need for all dedicated trunks between you and the ILEC so you just have
trunks between you and the third party tandem.

However, there is one more caveat and that is that it depends on what
ILEC you are interconnecting with. Verizon will allow the 3rd party
tandem provider to add your company's NXXs onto their existing trunk
group. CenturyLink and AT&T do not do that. They require the third party
tandem providers to install a dedicated trunk group for each company
that they are providing switching service for. Because a dedicated trunk
group between them and the ILEC costs them more, they will bill you
differently in those areas.

So the upside to having a third party tandem provider for Local
IntraLATA traffic is that you don't have to manage the Local IntraLATA
trunks yourself. The downside is that you probably will pay more per
minute if you send the traffic through the third party tandem provider.
Make sense?

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969