[VoiceOps] FUSF is 26.5% for Q3 2020: Discuss

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Mon Aug 24 18:33:40 EDT 2020

If you were to install new facilities to a subscriber in a green field
deployment, what technology would you use?  Fiber, right? Once that
fiber is installed, what speed packages are available? All the way to at
least gigabit, right?

Yes, that means that some very rural areas are able to get gigabit while
many urban areas can not.  But that is more-so a fault of the facilities
in the urban areas.  They are often copper based (coax and twisted pair)
that was installed decades ago. Copper facilities struggle to achieve
gigabit speeds, at least past a very short distance.  More commonly the
speeds are in just the double digits.

When ISPs are deciding where to install new fiber, un-served areas, such
as the rural areas being discussed, are usually prioritized above those
that are already served by cable and DSL. If you have enough resources
to install fiber to only so many new subscribers in a given year, would
you upgrade existing urban customers to fiber, most of which can already
achieve 50Mbps+, or would you add new rural subscribers, most of which
currently use satellite or dialup?  The later is a popular choice.
However, I realize the optics are bad from the perspective of urban
subscribers.

On 2020-08-24 16:45, Mary Lou Carey wrote:

> Wow.....so it sounds like maybe they are offering services but the
> donations from the government to fund it certainly don't make it all
> the way to the customer! My car loan costs less than your Gigabit
> ethernet!

That is not a fair comparison.  Very few people currently require
gigabit Internet.  I bet the cost for 50/50 is less than your car loan.
Maybe a better comparison would be the cost of gigabit to the monthly
cost of a loan for a Rolls-Royce?