[VoiceOps] Metaswitch

Matthew Yaklin myaklin at firstlight.net
Mon Dec 7 12:29:59 EST 2020

Broadcloud, correct me if I am wrong, is positioned as a service Cisco's sells to service providers to resell. We used to have it along with Broadsoft. Both are now gone. Broadsoft made more sense profit wise due to Broadcloud's pricing and requirements.

I cannot imagine MS wanting to become a ringcentral and sell directly which means, like you said, they will setup a model like Cisco. Which means some service providers would pick it up and add it as another service they resell.

As time goes on I have noticed many customers want to buy their internet and telephone service from the same company to have a single point of contact for support. It also allows them to get a discount when buying both. Now on top of that if we start reselling a telephone service with other MS services it will really confuse the status quo. Does a customer really want to deal with their internet service provider when making large decisions about MS software and services? I guess it might be ok for small and possibly slightly bigger biz.

I am rambling a bit and have not fully thought it through but it strikes me as a me-too idea and I don't think MS is really thinking that. I had a feeling they wanted the knowledge and talent to integrate SIP like tech throughout their portfolio and also create something that allows enterprise customers to manage their own phones. The customers would still be ordering SIP trunks from a service provider though. Why get into the service provider realm? Plenty of money to be made doing it in a more traditional manner their customers might desire? The whole manage your own phone thing/PBX would integrate with teams/desk phones/laptops/desktops/cell phones/video conf/etc... That sounds like something MS could sell the crap out of if done right.

Matthew Yaklin
Network Engineer
FirstLight
359 Corporate Drive │ Portsmouth, NH 03801
Mobile 603-845-5031
myaklin at firstlight.net | www.firstlight.net
This email may contain FirstLight confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are directed
not to read, disclose or otherwise use this transmission and to immediately delete same. Delivery of this message is not intended
to waive any applicable privileges.