[VoiceOps] ATAs compatible with fire alarm panels

Nick Garrett nick.garrett at rival5.com
Tue Dec 15 22:18:48 EST 2020

They're referring to the signaling type of the fire alarm dialer to the
monitoring service / central station. There are different types including
different kinds of pulsing, and then the Ademco contact ID which is mainly
used in addressable systems.

We have had luck with the 4+2 and other pulse dialings but mixed results
with contact ID since it is dumped onto the line so quickly (I have a
recording of it somewhere - it's very quick and sometimes is too quick
where it is not received reliably - inband DTMF settings or not). It seems
that systems with Ademco contact ID also like to call out a lot more than
pulse systems likely because they're busier systems and probably more to
report on.

We usually put our dialtone on only where absolutely needed, or if it's
some temporary setup for our customers and we try to corral them to a
network monitor solution or a cellular / wireless / AESnet setup, again as
others have mentioned, it will all depend on the jurisdiction and what they
allow/disallow/support.