[VoiceOps] NTP Question

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Feb 17 23:02:46 EST 2020

Ooooh I like that one!

The thread got a little confusing --

     Are we talking about using NTP as a client on VMs?

     Or using VMs to run NTP servers?

If as a server:
     Hell NAH! Don't do it. Like everyone said, the clock available to the
     OS isn't reliable, you don't want its drift to affect other machine's
     clocks.

If as a client:
     Hell YAH! VM clocks are unreliable. Heck, we had a dedicated server that
     had a 14 second a day drift! We used the heck out of NTP to keep that
     sucker from losing time.

Sort of related: I really love OVH as a hosting provider, but they offer
one time source, and it is in Beauharnois, Canada, even if you use their
Oregon US Datacenter. These NTP devices are so inexpensive to cover a whole
datacenter, why are we introducing network latency?!?

I am of the opinion that each physical datacenter should provide its own
Stratum 1 NTP source.

Beckman