[VoiceOps] NTP Question

Henning Westerholt hw at skalatan.de
Tue Feb 18 09:02:34 EST 2020

(re-send because of blocking of the previous e-mail)

Hello,

my experience is mostly with German market - here you need to prove (when you have enough customer base) to the regulation authorities that your time source that is used for billing is accurate enough. During that time when I was working on such a project, the regulation authorities were satisfied with something in the hundreds of milliseconds/less than 0,5s drift in the platform towards the official time base. In the end the old PSTN technology probably did not provided more accuracy..

If I would look to a platform from an auditor point of view, I would focus more on process accuracy, monitoring and general operation procedures. Like - if there is a deviation in the time synchronisation, it is actually detected. Are there other events or sources where wrong billing could be generated, like a crash of a system etc..
These process issues can cause more billing problems than some delay due to an NTP on a virtual machine (if you take the extreme examples with 10-20s drift as mentioned earlier away) in my opinion.

Cheers,

Henning

Kamailio services - https://gilawa.com