[VoiceOps] RAY BAUMS Act - How are people planning on complying?

Brian Heinz brian.e.heinz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 12:41:15 EST 2020

1. Most PBX/UC platform vendors can send a different CLID for emergency
calls. Normally this is called the ELI or CESID in the PBX. This emergency
CLID of course needs to be set up with the PSAP with the appropriate
location information, which is usually handled through the carrier.
Granularity requirements vary by state, but the best advice I've heard is
to provide enough detail so the first responders know which door to break
down.

2. Again, most PBX/UC platforms can handle this without issue, the outgoing
CLID does not necessarily have to match an incoming DID, and different CLID
can be sent on emergency calls.

3. Generally, softphones are not able to place emergency calls. Make the
users sign a disclaimer stating as such. Some softphones can display a
reminder message on launch stating they are not to be used for emergency
calls. If a remote user has a physical phone at home, disclaimer and a
sticker on the phone stating it cannot place emergency calls.