[VoiceOps] Three Digit Numbers

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 11:36:17 EDT 2020

Context matters here, i think.  We are a business-only provider, we don't
have any residential.  That means that we probably serve people with fewer
need for some of these services.  We have a customer that's a major road
construction company, and they've never dialed 811.  They know WHO to call,
and don't need this national system at all.

We do have a big list of 911-inclusive dialing patters like that, an 9911,
etc.

Our only international users are call centers owned by US companies, and
have specifically asked us to block 911.  I can't find any regulation
requiring us to provide them with emergency dialing on softphones used for
a call center.

Like Nick, we used to route 411 to Free411, but during a major system
revamp, we saw that it had only ever been dialed twice--during testing.  So
we didn't re-implement it in the new system.

In our state, 511 is for traffic info, but again, we don't handle that and
nobody has complained.  It's 2020, people use the web.