[VoiceOps] Confusing Spoofing Customers

Christopher Aloi ctaloi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:28:49 EST 2020

Hey All,

We have observed multiple reports of our business customer telephone
numbers being used by a bad actor leaving messages for consumers.  The
consumers receiving the call do not have a direct relationship with us.
The bad actor presents “unknown” as the caller-id and leaves a harsh
message asking for personal information and demanding a call back (illegal
sounding collector call).  The number the bad actor leaves to be called
back (in a verbal message) is owned by one of our business customers.  So,
the response to the “bad” call goes back to the legit company.  The
consumer calls our business customer back and explains the message, the
business customer has no record of an outbound call to the consumer and is
perplexed by the call.

We have a few customers impacted by this and in every instance we have no
record of the outbound (bad actor) call leaving our network.  I can’t
figure out the scam here, they aren’t pumping traffic and the call goes
back to the legit business, leaving no opportunity for the bad actor to
engage with the consumer.  Anyone have any thoughts?