[VoiceOps] VoIP SMS Campaign Fees

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 12:33:26 EST 2021

100% agree here. This is cartel / monopoly behavior and should be
attacked as such.

The facts as I understand them are:

 1. All API originated traffic is considered A2P regardless of if its an
    app with a physical single person thumbing in messages at the far
    end. API involved = A2P. Done (lets ignore the fact that iMessage
    and Android messaging are now API as well)
 2. This means all non MNO traffic is A2P and subject to the fees
 3. If my customers who are single/small users, cancelled my service and
    signed up for VZW they would get the same service (actually much
    less) but not have to deal with this (this is the sort of antitrust
    behavior Microsoft has been sued for and lost multiple times over).
 4. TCR is in effect levying a tax, but is a private entity, whose
    proceeds and use thereof are not public record. Honestly I cannot
    figure out what the cost justification for the whole thing really is
    or how they arrived at the pricing.

Are we complying? Yes because the average customer simply doesn't / wont
care why their messages aren't going through and presume you are at
fault / incompetent. This isn't the hill I am going to pick to die on.

What we are doing is passing this through nearly 100% with links on our
invoices to a page explaining why this is happening. This gives us to
the penny accounting as well as we are quite keen to join any
class-action suit on the topic. I may start one if I can find counsel
and enough to join in.

We can all thank Ajit Pai for this. SMS is a telecom service not a data
service. There is no longer a differentiation, data = telecom today.

-Ryan