[VoiceOps] Vendor Pros\Cons

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 17:09:40 EST 2021

I built/ran a large meta shop for over a decade and still consult to many.

My $0.02 is they are on the backside of their market curve. Theres a
long tail on their customers but everything they do is replaceable by
software solutions that are increasingly open.

  * Their CFS software hasnt seen a reasonable update to allow it to
    meet current market needs in some time.
  * The Cluster CFS architecture works well but is cluttered by clunky
    management and lack of transparency and elasticity and ultimately
    still orbits the CFS code limitations.
  * Their EAS should have been retired in favor of a more reasonably
    modern solution 5 years ago (more cohesive api's, better scaling, etc)
  * The SBC didnt really need to happen, they entered that space after
    the oracle acquisition of Acme. The level of engineering effort for
    an org to install perimeta should be spent on acquiring
    Kamailio/Opensips skills.

The future of Meta WAS going to be Clearwater, open IMS, which was
summarily killed by the MSFT buy, but the CFS code is a boat anchor
around the neck of communications provider product offerings as of 2021.

The legacy value of their TDM gateways is quite clear but it needn't be
in the context of a unified switch.

-Ryan