[VoiceOps] Wholesale MMS Group Messaging and Applications

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:43:44 EST 2021

Which wholesale voip carriers successfully support Group Messaging?  I know
bandwidth.com does as they have a whole section about it on their webpage
below. Does Intelliquient, Level3/ CenturyLink, Flowroute, Telnyx, Twilio,
or other providers?

Note, this is different than just regular SMS or MMS support. I think most
all carriers support SMS, some support MMS, and few support group MMS.

A better question is what softswitch, apps, or platforms support the MM4 or
API of said wholesale carriers assuming they support Group messaging? For
example, I think bandwidth supports the API/MM4 protocol, but they do not
provide the end customer facing applications. They want you to hire a
programmer to do this.

Broadsoft and Metaswitch don't support MMS to my knowledge as they are
built on XMPP for chatting protocols. They support SMS, but not MMS nor
group MMS to my knowledge. Netsapiens does not either, I believe. 2600hz
only does SMS.  Who else out there has native MMS support?

Group Messaging is characterized by an SMS conversation among 3 or more
recipients at the same time. This is a many-to-many exchange of messages.
Group messaging is typically sent as MMS messages. Bandwidth offers a
ready-to-use API for Group Messaging besides the ability to send group
messages over its MM4 platform.
https://www.bandwidth.com/glossary/group-messaging/