[VoiceOps] Call Quality

Tim Bray tim at kooky.org
Mon Jun 14 05:21:07 EDT 2021

Hi,

It depends on your definition of pipes not too overloaded.   And I'm
presuming from mention of pipes that you mean network induced call
quality problems.

Usually bufferbloat.   Routers with too much memory cause a lot of
latency at the point of a fast to slow transition in the network.

And this can be caused by anything from a crappy DSL router on upstream,
and somebody emails a large attachment during a call. Or it can be
something like a unsupported 100meg optic on the customer side of a
juniper edge router on a 10gig core. Customer does a download, latency
goes nuts and all the phone calls sound naff.

Tools to test.

fast.com and press the `Show more info` button.   Forget the bandwidth
figures, and look at the difference between the loaded and unloaded
latency.  If a big difference, you have a problem.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest  This will give a bufferbloat
score.  Then look at the results, and scroll down a bit and it will show
you upload and download latency figures for idle, downloading and
uploading.    (This is one of the most amazing tools, and I'd love a way
to pay them some money each month to support the service.  They were
struggling a bit at some stage.)

Tim