[VoiceOps] Can't Figure This Scam Out

LICT VoiceOps voiceops at lict.com
Thu Nov 11 11:01:59 EST 2021

One of our clients is a small private school.

For the past month, the school has been getting calls meant for other
schools in the general area (within 20 miles or so)

We have been able to get limited information from the caller like
what number did they dial. They are definitely not dialing our client's
DIDs.

It seems that they are dialing a number that they found on an internet
search, and the call is then forwarded to one of the DIDs at the school.

We are seeing matching CDR records for our PBX and our carrier's CDR
billing reports, so it does not look like a SIP hack.

It seems that the number is forwarded for just a few minutes to our school,
then goes dead, or rings busy, no longer forwarded to our client.

The pattern here is that the caller obtained the number from an internet
search of a school in the area. These are real people calling, as we have
been able to call them back and verify. The callers who reached our client
are as bewildered as we are.

I am sure this is some sort of scam -- but I can't figure out what it is.
Are the scammers recording the lines and seeing if they hear financial
information? Seems like a longshot, but that is the only thing I can think
of.

I know there is little that can be done to prevent a call being forwarded
to you upstream of the carrier, but would love to hear anyone's thoughts
about this.