[VoiceOps] Can't Figure This Scam Out

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Nov 11 13:26:18 EST 2021

On 11/11/21 08:01, LICT VoiceOps via VoiceOps wrote:
> One of our clients is a small private school.
>
> For the past month, the school has been getting calls meant for other
> schools in the general area (within 20 miles or so)
>
> We have been able to get limited information from the caller like
> what number did they dial. They are definitely not dialing our client's
> DIDs.
>
> It seems that they are dialing a number that they found on an internet
> search, and the call is then forwarded to one of the DIDs at the school.

I've run into something similar, but the forwarded number was static,
not dynamic. In other words, the number from the search always forwarded
to our client.

It turned out to be cruft left over from a test marketing scheme from
someone selling a "Yellow Pages" service. They create a new number,
publish it only in search results and sometimes an actual phone book
(ask your grandparents), then count the calls that go through.

The advertising company then pitches the client on buying advertising
based on "You'd be missing all of these calls...." In our case the
marketing program had ended long ago, the number was re-purposed for
advertising an unrelated business, but the forwarding never got
switched. Our client kept getting mystery phone calls for an unrelated
business where the caller dialed a very different number from our
client's main number. It took a while to figure it out. In this case,
the original forwarding/trial period had been done long ago with our
client's knowledge and permission, but the campaign had ended a couple
of years before and was forgotten.

Your situation may be similar, but without permission. Scammy
advertising company publishes a number that returns for searches on
"Schools". It goes to an Asterisk or similar box that randomly or
round-robin forwards calls to various area schools. Scammy company logs
completed calls and durations, then pitches the schools with the most
calls that last longer than "Sorry, wrong number" on their service.
"Your competitors are getting all of this business...." The scheme
doesn't have to be limited to schools. Plumbers, electricians, etc.
could also be targets.

Call the actual dialed/forwarded number a few times, you'll probably
find that your school is in the rotation. When you get a call that goes
through to you, leave call up for a few minutes. Repeat several times
and see who calls pitching advertising.

Jay Hennigan - jay at west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
503 897-8550 - WB6RDV