[VoiceOps] Robocall/reputation lookup and call blocking

Joel Stalder jstalder at panterranetworks.com
Tue Nov 23 15:00:19 EST 2021

For inbound spam/robocall blocking, we use a reputation score threshold
from the common vendors to determine whether a given call should be marked
as just ‘spammy’ or rather blocked entirely.

As of late, we’re receiving more and more complaints of inbound calls being
blocked due to VERY bad reputations (i.e. 100 out of 100). In most/all
cases, the callers are large organizations… hospitals, pharmacies,
insurance companies, etc. It appears many of the large companies haven’t
bothered to SHAKEN sign their calls nor manage their reputations via
https://calleridreputation.com, https://calltransparency.com, etc. Many use
a single TN for all their outbound calls. ;-(

Our strong suspicion is that because large carriers have whitelisted the
calling TNs and the importance of valid calls, spoofers are hot to use them
and the reputation databases reflect that.

Problem for us, of course, is that our customers want to receive calls from
the real organizations but we have no way of determining which calls are
real and which are not. Only the TN reputation score from industry
databases and call headers are available.

Just curious what others are doing and seeing “in the wild”. Is playing the
whack-a-mole whitelisting game really the best solution? An alternative
idea of letting all bad reputation calls through and simply marking them as
‘spammy’, regardless of score, seems like a cop-out.

-Joel

*Joel Stalder*

*Director, North American Network Operations*

*+1.408.400.3830*

[image: Panterra_newest_logo150]

*"The Unified Cloud Service Provider"*