[VoiceOps] VoIP SMS Campaign Fees

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Nov 29 16:52:53 EST 2021

While I understand the concern, and it is warranted for your customers who
are using 10DLC numbers for business-related SMS, The Campaign Registry
(TCR) will evaluate your business case for P2P if you have a valid one,
such as a business that offers residential phone service.

I've implemented the CTIA Best Practices as best I can in code to block
customers who attempt to use our clearly-stated P2P SMS service for A2P
purposes. They get blocked immediately, we get notified, and we educate
them on the current SMS landscape and explain why they cannot use 10-digit
local US Numbers to send business SMS without registration. When we explain
the costs, they usually complain and go elsewhere.

I'll be curious how Twilio and Plivo and others are going to handle this. I
know that Twilio treats all SMS traffic as A2P from a fee perspective, but
with the whole registration business it's gonna get ugly quickly.

The Campaign Registry offers an API, so I'm assuming that 3rd parties will
tell customers to go register their brand and they'll enable SMS once TCR
approves. https://csp-api.campaignregistry.com/v1/restAPI

For any business who has legitimate P2P traffic -- see the CTIA Best
Practices -- contact TCR to see if they agree.

Beckman