[VoiceOps] Bandwidth East Coast Issues

Ross Tajvar ross at tajvar.io
Mon Sep 27 02:38:32 EDT 2021

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 5:24 PM Mike Hammett <voiceops at ics-il.net> wrote:

> I have IXes in areas where Inteliquent and Peerless have POPs. They
> haven't had any interest.
>
> I don't understand.

 I understand. Serious customers will pay for a PNI. Industry partners
(other large telcos with whom they exchange a lot of traffic) will get a
PNI because it is more reliable/higher bandwidth/etc. An IX presence may
help customers who send voice traffic over the internet, but I suspect
those customers make up a small percentage of any given telco's revenue.
So, there's no incentive. Same reason NTT/Telia/Lumen/etc. won't peer with
you over an IX. Why would they, when they can sell you transit?