[VoiceOps] Bandwidth - Monday Outage

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Sep 27 22:17:27 EDT 2021

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021, Ryan Delgrosso wrote:

> Nothing meaningful other than the normal public party line.
>
> I too have heard unofficially that its DDOS, which makes sense given the
> recurring nature.
>
> 4.5hrs down Sat

  Our monitoring showed 2 hours 47 minutes of actual service affecting
  outages across Voice (Inbound and Outbound), Messaging, and API/Portal.

  The issue started at 3pm and recovered at 5:47pm EDT. We reported it to
  the TAC at 3:07pm, they did not post on Status until 3:31pm.

> Some small downtime Sun
>
> Now deep into Monday with problems.
>
> Its not a good look, but id like some more transparency.

  DDoS attacks are real and hard to null route. You've got millions of IP
  addresses slamming you with data. Your router has a capacity, and your
  router cannot handle all of that extra crap data along with all of our
  traffic too.

  I'm sure BW will be investing in some beefy hardware that will be able to
  better handle DDoS attacks, as well as working more closely with their
  peering providers. I have to assume that they were getting gigabits of
  traffic, overwhelming their links in addition to their edge routers.

  Cloudflare details how they do it here:
  https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200172676-Understanding-Cloudflare-DDoS-protection

  Not much to be transparent about. The Internet is an unfriendly place, and
  bad actors can rain hell upon any public IP they want. Unsecured laptops,
  desktops, TVs, IOT devices, etc, all contribute just a little tiny bit,
  and all focus on one single point, kinda like those giant solar farms with
  the mirrors and single tower in the middle to boil the molten salt.

  Well, Bandwidth is the molten salt, and the mirrors are a bunch of
  unsecured devices on the Internet.