[VoiceOps] Trading Partner Agreements and Porting: How Long to Complete?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Apr 27 17:21:26 EDT 2022

I've got a Metro by T-Mobile customer (SPID 158H) that wants to port their
number.

Our carrier doesn't have a current Trading Partner Agreement (TPA) in place
with Metro.

So, they told me they submitted one to Metro on March 30, 2022.

It is now April 27, 2022, and as far as I have been told, Metro has not
responded to nor signed the agreement, preventing the customer port for
almost a month now.

I don't know much about what a TPA is, why or what it is needed for, and
how long by FCC rule it must be completed within.

What I do know is that the FCC does not look kindly upon carriers who deny
porting to consumers.

Can someone educate me about:
     - What is a TPA and why is it needed to Port numbers between carriers?
     - What FCC Rule (if any) states the maximum amount of time before a TPA
       is signed?
     - How does a consumer escalate within their carrier in order to force
       the completion of the TPA and get their number to port?
     - What does a non-Tier 0 carrier do to escalate conflicts between their
       carrier vendor and another carrier?
     - What have I stated that isn't accurate, or what am I missing?

Thanks

Beckman

PS -- If anyone named Frank is listening and managing TPAs for their
carrier clients, I'd love to hear from you!