[VoiceOps] Trading Partner Agreements and Porting: How Long to Complete?

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Thu Apr 28 00:55:52 EDT 2022

The porting process is a 4 step process:

Step 1: Issue an LSR (Local Service Request) to the losing carrier
Step 2: When you get an FOC from the losing carrier, submit the port
request in NPAC
Step 3: The losing carrier concurs the port request in NPAC to release
the TN to the company that submit the port request
Step 4: The new carrier logs into NPAC to accept the port at the time
they want to receive it.

In order to issue an LSR in a carrier's portal, some of the larger
carriers require a Trading Partner Agreement. Often times the process
for the larger carriers requires the company to submit a profile
request, sign a Trading Partner agreement, submit their own porting
requirements, and then apply for access to their LSR system.
Unfortunately, the larger carriers don't really care if their process
causes the customer they are losing delays.

What I would suggest is you ask your carrier to submit a complaint about
it to the state PUC or FCC (depending on who Metro got their licensing
through). They just need to write a simple e-mail stating the specfics
of the situation. That's usually the quickest way to light a fire under
a carrier that's dragging their feet on giving another carrier access to
their LSR system.

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969