[VoiceOps] Determining Carrier for a US Short Code

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Dec 13 18:09:11 EST 2022

We have had a few issues in the past 24 months where a major business stops
sending Short Code SMS messages to our DIDs. In all of the cases, it turns
out to be a "misconfiguration" or an "incorrect mapping" with the carrier
responsible for sending and receiving the Short Code SMS messages.

However, we normally just go directly to our DID carrier and ask them to
investigate and get it fixed, which they do, but it takes a long time, and
it turns out that it isn't our carrier who is dragging their feet.

Given a US Short Code, such as Citi 248487, how would I find out who the
carrier is that services that Short Code? Is there a public or private
database of this information? Routing table? Something similar to an LRN
for Short Codes?

I can find out what company owns/purchased/rents/leases a Short Code with
online information, but I cannot seem to find the carrier of record for a
short code.

If anyone knows a list of the "major players" in the short code space, I'd
love to know.

Beckman