[VoiceOps] VoIP is a restricted business?

Tim Bray tim at kooky.org
Wed Jan 5 08:18:05 EST 2022

Hi,

You might want to say which country, as banking regulations will vary
from country to country.

There is a lot of fraud in telecoms, but I've usually seen this come out
in terms of delayed settlement for card transactions and such.  (but
I've not seen this for years)

And remember that 15 years ago, all the scams were `signup voip credit
with a stolen card, dial a premium rate number you own, collect`.  I'm
surprised that

When I did the last bit of underwriting with a bank, they were very
concerned about `prepaid software services`.

Specifically `voip` or if you said `telecom service provider` would you
be ok`?

I know at least one voip company who uses Wise as their primary bank
account.    (and for laughs, wise was formed on the back of a voip
company (Skype))

Tim

On 05/01/2022 13:00, Oren Yehezkely wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Happy New Year everyone.
>
> I recently became aware of the fact that banks (and financial
> institutions) define any business that merely mentions the word VoIP
> as restricted. Meaning they would not allow such a business to work
> with them.
> As if VoIP is some kind of an illegal substance.
> I am confident that when it comes to larger players they are not
> defined as a VoIP business...
>
> One company (Wise/Wisetransfer) even claimed that their regulation
> requires them to do that.
>
> I wonder if you have any more information and how do you deal with this.
>
> Thanks,
> Oren

Tim Bray
Huddersfield, GB