[VoiceOps] Misrouting 911 Calls?

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Mon Jan 10 10:14:47 EST 2022

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 5:21 PM Mary Lou Carey <marylou at backuptelecom.com>
wrote:

> You shouldn't have needed a number for each extension. You can just
> associate each extension with a dedicated TN for that particular
> building. Any call that comes from that building would be routed to the
> same PSAP. You'd just want to provide the main desk in each building
> with the physical location of each TN within the building so when help
> arrives they know where to go.

Yup.  That was Comcast's response to the FCC though.

> What you're describing is actually 2 different issues. The contract
> being up may fix the problem of getting the call to the correct PSAP,
> but it may not fix your address problem. If the location is routed to
> the right PSAP but identifies the wrong building in that PSAP area it's
> still an issue. My guess would be that Comcast had problems getting your
> addresses to validate in the ALI database so they listed the address
> associated with your SIP trunks instead because the system took that.
> What clients may not be aware of is that the address in the ALI database
> (used to identify locations for 911) doesn't always match the address
> that the customer was given by USPS.

I have a portal that I use for tracking my clients addresses.  It has a
'street number' field, 'street name', and 'additional address info' field
(along with city, state, zip).
They basically get concatenated together to come up with the address.
Those fields also generate my e911 list that I hand to Comcast.  I used the
same fields to programatically create the BulkVS 911 list.  BulkVS had zero
problems validating every single address I threw at it. ;)

-A