[VoiceOps] 9-8-8 dialing when an outside line access code (9) is being used

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Fri Jul 15 11:51:25 EDT 2022

On 2022-07-15 10:19, Carlos Alvarez wrote:
> We stopped the useless "outside line" concept almost a decade ago.

I would like to second that.  There is no need to dial a "9" (or 8, or
whatever) to seize an outside line anymore.  We are no longer using
mechanical step switches, and as such, are able to more elegantly figure
out what the user is trying to dial

Sometimes this requires using timeouts.  Sometimes you can avoid the
timeouts by carefully selecting the extensions.  For example, if you are
in US/Canada and using 3-digit dialing, the extensions 100 through 119
are never ambiguous (with NPAs, NXXs, ERCs, etc) and would not require a
timeout.  If all of the extensions on the phone system are 100 through
119, then this is a clear case of where a "9" to get an "outside line"
makes no technical sense.

Possible pro tip: If setting up a phone system for a very small
business, and you doubt they will ever grow beyond 20 extensions,
consider using extensions 100 through 119.  They will never need to
endure timeouts for station-to-station calling.

This all assumes you are bothering to setup digitmaps on the phones/ATAs.